Monday, March 20, 2017

Humanist approaches to Education Post 1

The Introduction to Counselling course I found to be very different because is was not just an intellect and textually-based thinking and writing course. It provided extremely valuable, hands-on experiential session in Cognitive Behavioral Theory methods, Choice Theory, Mindfulness techniques, and reality and acceptance therapies as well as the theory for the latest advances in neuroscience which augment these counselling initiatives.I would highly recommend it to all teachers since they are counselors to all students , friends and colleagues, and will learn valeable skills to help themselves through self-reflection and learning to let things be.


Ideas and  Reflections: Introduction to Counselling 1
The main points that have had impact on me from my first counselling session :
I must preface my reflection on what I have learned this weekend by disclosing that I believe I have as yet to be diagnosed Asperger’s Syndrome. In particular affects my ability to be empathetic and to be an effective, active listener. My mind continually jumps from thought to thought and I am frequently on different trains of thought other than the active topic at hand. This is a barrier to being an effective helper. The reading for this counselling course and the exercises that allowed us to assume the helper role has amplified my need to think and behave differently and modify the genetic predispositions that influence my Quality World. I have noticed, long before this course, that I too often give unwanted advice and am quite judgmental around certain topics and with certain people. Our readings and the discussions and role-playing, have given me a new perspective and practical ways to apply corrective measures to my deficiencies in these areas. Assuming a helper’s role, I found extremely beneficial since I had to step outside of myself and be concerned fully with ‘the other’ to understand, empathize, and give direction.
I have discovered also that I am not a person who practices Covey’s critical habit of ‘seek first to understand and then to be understood’; the first part of the aphorism being lost due to poor or non-existent relationship development and the second part being arrogantly dismissed as lack of experience, knowledge or interest on the part of the person involved. It is clear that I was not approaching many situations with either a helper skill set or using principles of Choice Theory to guide my thoughts and emotions and letting behavioral systems be in a perpetual state of flux.

My self-examination from the course content has made me realize that I rely on my intellectual competence to sustain me and put far too much importance on this one characteristic of who I am. I need to work on not foisting my ideas on politics and educational technology on others. I have very strong opinions and knowledge around these two particular topics, which many others do not share or even care about. I have taken personal affront to persons who are in positions of power who have not sought to understand my point of view or concede any legitimacy for my experience or knowledge in these disciplines. I now realize this is unproductive for me and counterproductive to relationship building. I now keep the following in my mind when I reflect: “Why would they care about what I am saying? Do they care about my point of view or knowledge on this topic?” Usually the answer to both questions is NO, therefore I need to remind myself to stop talking and to stop trying to change a person or situation over which I have little or no control.
Examining the stages of the helping process was important for me. Learning that the assessment stage,and the relationship building therein, is so foundational and must be developed over a series of meetings is revelatory for me. Additionally, insightful was the fact that in counselling no advice is ever offered in any of the helping stages; rather goal setting for the client in order to help to them determine their own directions and purpose. Helpers have to be courageous and I need to grow in this area since I will avoid confrontation at all costs. I am not assertive in my dealing with authority. The confidentiality aspect of a helper is another trait I wish to fully develop since I do quite a bit of non-productive grousing concerning non-collegiality and power dynamics within the school setting. I have to be committed to personal awareness of my automatic reactions, and prejudices, and assumptions which are exacerbated by my cognitive distortions of all-or-nothing-thinking. Even though I know this is an inherent trait of Asperger’s, it must be mitigated for my own well-being if for no other reason. The discussion of being a professional helping versus friendship was important because it made me examine that friends have a give and take relationship and this is quite different for a helper or counsellor where advise is never given. I think one has to be very careful in application of such powerful and influential methods that we are learning in the course however so as not to jeopardize a friendship by over-analyzing or becoming clinical in an informal setting. Watching the videos on being an effective helper was also very helpful. These clips showed counselling techniques in action before we got to practice them. For me. it may have beneficial to watch some key video clips while reading the text
Since I have learned about Choice Theory and that relationships are key to all helpers and leaders, it is still concerning that I do not see collaborative and collegial relationships in my work, but it now has taken on less importance since it is something I choose not to validate or try to control. Learning to ignore hypocrisy is, and will continue to be, a monumental challenge in my career since I cannot abide deceitfulness or disingenuo­usness because of the genetics of personality. Without exception, it has been my experience that the key ideas we discussed in our class this weekend concerning relationship building, mentoring and being open to critical examination of ideas and practices, is practically non-existent in my current and former workplaces. In unhealthy environments such as these, with coercive authoritarian management styles, it means I have to work harder for my own well-being.
The Choice Theory Model Poster was extremely helpful because it succinctly encompassed the whole of the Choice Theory Model. As was pointed out by Dr. Brown, we are all on a continuum of mental health and well-being due to conflicts in our significant relationships and with external power structures in the real world. It’s how we manage these conflicts between our idealized Quality World needs and our wants that make us content or malcontent. Of greater interest to me personally was the genetic or personality instructions section of the model, which exert great influence on our Quality World. Even though I know we can modify our personalities, I believe I have far less empathy than most people and suspect that it is because of being on the Autism spectrum as mentioned before. This has affected my personal relationships my whole life. It is something I will struggle with in order to be an effective helper, but it is essential to the growth and contentment which I have been seeking for a number of years.
Another concept that resonated with me was being in the moment with a client/student/son or daughter. This is a skill, along with active listening, which I need to practice more. I wish to become the person who can better listen and overcome my controlling behaviors. I wish to be in the moment/present to more fully enjoy life and my closest relationships; to start to rectify broken or maladaptive relationships in my workplace by applying Choice Theory principles. I have already identified much of what people wish to force on others and myself in a school setting and have come to terms with it. Since I can only control that which is with my circle of influence, I must let the rest just ‘be’ and no perseverate on what I cannot change. I must let only what is forced upon me directly have its impact on my choices and try to make correct decisions based on reflection to deal with outcomes that I wish to see.
I believe I am creative and I am inclined towards the arts, literature and use of the imagination but I seldom get to exercise this at work especially in my speciality area of technology in education. I have found that I enjoy being a helper in the confusing and frustrating world of computer and digital technologies. It has been an ongoing passion of mine for 30 years. I used to help to alleviate staff and student anxiety but now am not able due to externally imposed decisions and I have resigned myself to do the best work I can in my new position and help those who ask and who appreciate it.
The calming meditation exercises that started the weekend sessions was helpful too. They evoked a memory of a one-time activity in high school when our teacher had us just listen to our surroundings. A very powerful memory I had forgotten until now; Meditation is something I have always wanted to explore since I read Eckhart Tolle’s New Earth and The Power of Now, and Sam Harris’ Waking Up: a Guide to Spirituality without Religion. I would like to continue on this contemplative and spiritual journey no matter where my intellectual pursuits lead me.

Much of what I am learning I wish to apply to my own relationships with others and as a means of self-exploration and positive growth. Additionally, I wish to help my eldest daughter, who suffers from Crohn’s disease and depressing because of her circumstances, to help herself. And my youngest daughter who is suffering from anxiety and panic attacks due to a toxic relationship she had last year.


No comments: